Hummingbirds are always an enjoyable addition to any yard. Here are a few tips for feeding hummingbirds:
- Fill feeder with 1 part white cane sugar and four parts water. Water does not need to be boiled and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Do not add red food coloring to the water as it may be harmful to the birds.
- Clean feeders with water and/or bleach water but avoid using soap as it can leave a harmful residue.
- Putting fluorescent red or orange surveyor’s tape, non-sticky, near your feeder may attract more hummingbirds as they are believed to be sensitive to ultraviolet light which is reflected by the tape.
- Consider hummingbird feeders that have perches to give the small bird a rest while eating.
- Hummingbirds eat insects so always remember not to use pesticides anywhere near where birds may be feeding.
For more information about hummingbirds, go to www.hummingbirds.net!